A Spicy Tale

Heitmann, Owen James - HEIOJ001 HEIOJ001 at students.unisa.edu.au
Wed Dec 13 00:44:56 CET 2000

G'day,

Daniel van Eijmeren wrote:

"In the last panel of "A Spicy Tale" (US 39), as in the CBL, Scrooge
says: "I hope I can get this collar and chain cut off before somebody
discovers what a fibber I am!"

"The lettering of "fibber I am!" looks slightly different from the rest
of the balloon's dialogue. Is this coincidence or could there originally
have been something else?"

Donald Ault has verified that the change was made before the original printing.

My instant assumption is that the original dialogue had Scrooge referring to
himself as a "liar". Since this is bad behaviour for a Disney character to
promote, it was changed to the weaker "fibber". I admit that this is only a
guess, but it does seem to fit with some of the type of changes that are known
to have been made in Barks' stories.

But I do like Daniel's thoughts about the chain and collar being a
visualisation of Scrooge's addiction!

Cheers,

Owen Heitmann