ducks - human beings

Thomas Schuster t.schuster at bo.nettuno.it
Wed Feb 23 05:27:00 CET 2000

SOEREN:

>For the topic of Duck characters seen as human-beings rather than
>ducks...
>some years ago there was an exhibition maybe 8 years ago about Barks
>comics in Germany titled (translated somewhat literally):
>The duck has become a human-being

What was it in German, something like "Die Ente ist Mensch geworden"? In
this case, it would be a great bible quote (John's Gospel, IIRC - finally a
good use for my catholic education).

>Cheers,
>Soeren
>(greets to "fellow law student and delurker" Thomas ;-))

Thanks, Soeren! Unfortunately, I'm still too used to the old lurkin'
style... for example, there is a question for Don Rosa I would like to ask
for quiet some time now:

DON:

I don't know whether you've been asked this before, but I recall one
occasion in which you called a Disney character a duck, even if you had to
do so in order to be able to quote one of Monty Python's biggest ever gags.
In page 7, panel 5 of "A Little Something Special", the Beagle Boy says to
Magica de Spell (re-translated from Italian): "You are a witch! Not only
you weigh as much as a duck: you are a duck!"
Now, Monthy Python are almost completely unknown in Italy, so I suppose the
translator limited himself (herself?) to translate your script literally. I
know that you had to let Magica "become" a duck for this gag to work, but
doesn't this mean that at least the Beagle Boys are aware of the Ducks'
duckness (duckity? duckkind?)?

PAOLO:

>BTW, if I'll came out alive from this holy year I'll deserve a
>special Junior Woodchuck medal... something like...
>S.U.R.V.I.V.E.D.T.O.T.H.E.T.R.A.F.F.I.C.

Having been to Rome lately (_not_ because of the above-mentioned catholic
education), I really wondered how anyone could actually live there without
feeling the urge to flee in wild panic... perhaps because you couldn't get
out of town anyway.
Expocartoon visitors, be warned ;-)

Cheers,
Thomas