digest #173

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sat Jun 10 14:01:37 CEST 2000

Oops. I did not address the matter of "Of Ducks and Dimes and Destinies".
No, that was not originally a "Lo$" chapter, either. It was done entirely
before I decided to do the "Lo$", then Egmont delayed its publication until
after the entire "Lo$" had appeared. When Gladstone used it, I (or
somebody, I hope it was moi) suggested we call it "chapter 0" as that was a
corny marketing technique in American comics at the time. And the story has
many similarities with a "Lo$" story, but it is different.
The new "Lo$" chapters -- I don't really see them as flashbacks from the
"present" as Harry suggests, even though that's how I set them up. If you
look at the story contained in the "flashbacks", there are parts of it that
$crooge could not be telling, parts that he could not have known. I'm not
sure how to explain how I view those tales. I am sorta telling the *full*
version of the events that $crooge is telling his nephews his version of
off in some other corner of time and space. I wanted to do those new "Lo$"s
just like the original 12 chapters and leap right into the past in the
opening panel. But the editors suggested that a modern framing sequence was
needed, and they not only were probably right, but I now am enjoying the
framing sequence by using it to have $crooge or Donald comment on the
"untold tale" or as a springboard into another story as I did into "The
Dutchman's Secret" (which is the only thread of a link that story has with
the "Lo$").
But now I must dash! I have some preparations to make for a lil' dinner
party I'm giving tonight here at my place for friends Mike Kaluta, William
Stout and Mark Schultz who are all in Louisville for a model-makers'
convention. (I never said I was not a name-dropper!)