carl's health

john garvin jgarvin at bendcable.com
Thu Jun 15 17:35:21 CEST 2000

Got this in the mail today.  Thought I would forward it  to the list.

. . .

The message below reached me this morning. I place it here to inform those
people asking for Carl's health.
Folgende Nachricht von Carl Barks erreichte mich heute. Möchte ich Euch auf
diesem Wege weiterleiten.
M.d.G.
Detlef Giesler

June 8, 2000

Dear family and friends,
It is Carl`s wish that I write to his close friends and family and explain
his current health condition. As most of you know Carl was diagnosed with
Leukemia in July of 1999. The doctor has been treating the cancer with a
very mild form of oral chemotherapy. Over the past 4 to 6 weeks Carl`s
health has steadily become worse. He is very weak and tired, and spends the
greater part of his day in bed or resting in his chair. Carl has requested
all medications that are prolonging his life be stopped. He will no longer
be given his chemotherapy pills.
Helen Hunicke and I oversee Carl`s care. We are doing everything in our
power to keep him comfortable. Helen arranged for Hospice care. There is a
nurse and an aid who assist in Carl`s personal care and work with his doctor
to insure that he is receiving the correct medication to help keep him
comfortable.
Short letters, cards or family photos would be enjoyed and appreciated, but
please know that Carl is unable to respond to them. Helen or I will
periodically keep you informed as to his condition. Also phone calls and
visits should be kept brief due to the fact that he tires very quickly.