Brer

SRoweCanoe@aol.com SRoweCanoe at aol.com
Thu Mar 2 13:05:10 CET 2000

> BTW, it's extremely funny that those Rabbit story woiuld be banned
>  because one doesn't want to offend the black people. It was the black
>  slaves in the South who told those stories. Rabbit was then supposed to
>  be a smart black human and the bear and fox were the stupid white
>  slave-dealers.

>2) Bre'r Rabbit, Bre'r Bear and Bre'r Fox originally comes from
>the feature film "Song of the South", which in it's turn is based
>on a collection of folktales, etc. called "Uncle Remus Tales".

Well "Song of the South" is based on Joel Chandler Harris's books about Uncle
Remus and his stories of Brer Rabbit.  "Brer", by the way is dialect for
"Brother".
  The stories by Harris were new (as far as I know), but Trickster Rabbit
stories were popular in both africian and native american culture.  ((Harris
lived in central Georgia, home of the Cherokees - who had some great
trickster rabbit tales. Harris was also white)).  I  can no longer recall
Harris's time of writing, but in  the Disney movie version, Remus is a
sharecropper and field worker and not a slave.
  Dialect humor is a thing that is no longer acceptable in the USA.  Brother
Rabbit and Brother Bear have mixtures of Georgian (both black and white)
mixed with Hollywood.  Other dialect humor no longer acceptable in the USA
include  Irish, Jewish, Chinese, Japanese,  etc etc.  In fact the only
dialect humor still semi-acceptable is "redneck' humor  ("You know you're a
redneck, when...); just make sure you don't call it "cracker" humor...
  Hopefully in 100 years, dialect humor will make a comeback, unmarked by
rascist or ethnic hatred...

Steven Rowe