Indians in comics, etc

sonia_dyer@hp.com sonia_dyer at hp.com
Thu Mar 2 21:04:39 CET 2000

     Hi Anders-
          Are all comics with Indians banned in the US? Does this mean you
     don't see comic albums with Yakari, which are so great (But not
     Disney-comics)

                I don't remember EVER seeing any indians in comics in the
          USA except in Disney comics (Hiawatha, and the occasional indian
          tribe the ducks would meet in their adventures).  Who's Yakari,
          and what's that about?

     Arie and Jirgen-
          BTW, it's funny that you call yourself yellow. When I was a kid
     we were told that it was racist to call Asian people yellow.

                     Same here.  On the otherhand, we're _supposed_ to use
          the word "black" to refer to a Negro person. It used to be an
          insult in the USA to call a Negro a "black" person.  The
          preferred term was "colored", which is what was marked on the
          separate drinking fountains, bathrooms, hotels, etc.  But now the
          term black is preferred above the term Negro, and you hardly ever
          hear the word colored anymore.  And there are other terms that
          you dare not use any more, but which certain black people still
          use all the time when speaking to each other (even on TV).
          Things aren't very consistent are they?

     Jirgen-
          I do have some black friends, BTW, but they're all Africans, and
     they don't seem to feel like they have much in common with black
     Americans.

                     Yes, the two or three black people I know who were
          born in Nigeria and Cameroon in Africa don't seem to be carrying
          around the same "baggage", which matches your experience in
          Norway.

                     BTW, thanks for the comic story summaries you've been
          doing.  I enjoy reading them.

               Sonia