The Ducks are taking over/

Alexgoe@aol.com Alexgoe at aol.com
Tue Mar 21 21:34:01 CET 2000

Hi!

Arie:

> > Maybe Mickey isn't so requested any more like he was years ago. So I'd
> > like to ask other members of the mailing list if this is in other
> countries
> > so, too. Does anybody know something about this?
> i am bored reading most MM stories cause of his perfection. i remember a MM
> story by Gottfredson where MM must get several cameras to check for hidden
> things??? and he actually swipe a camera from a little girl, now that's
> revolting, it aint somethin i see everyday. Most Mm stories are just too
> boring and cliche with guessable endings (except for good works from Floyd
> and Murry). In my country people also prefers the ducks than the mice.

I should tell that I'm not such a big fan of the MM-stories, but when I see
the
some Duck-stories with every time the same story, I prefer reading the ones
about Mickey. Maybe the stories in the weeklies (the stories after ~ 1994) are
a bit complex and ordinar (beside the Rosa or Barks ones)... IMO they are made
for younger kids, at the age of 8-10. The most important thing in these
stories is
in my impression action and not a good story.

Maybe I dislike them because I'm a fan of the Italian stories, artists and
writers which aren't published in our weekly. Their Mickey-stories are better
than the Egmont stories, just remember the great time-machine stories! MM,
for instance detective stories written by good authors.

Halvor:

> In my opinion there are a bit too much Duck-related stories in the
> Scandinavian and German weeklies. Of course, good Duck-stories may be the
> main reason to buy these comics, but many of these stories are just about
> average. I would like to see fewer of average Duck-stories, and more good
> stories of the wolves and rabbits and so on. Also, many of these non-Duck
> and non-Mickey stories appeal to the youngest readers, and I think it's
> important that there's som stuff to them too. I like to read the weeklies to
> my children, and my daughter, who is 5 years, often prefers stories by Madam
> Mim and Grandma Duck. To keep the interest in the weeklies for future
> generations, there should be a variety of stories to read for every age.
> People like Gil Turner, Paul Murry, Al Hubbard and so on, have shown us that
> these kind of stories can be very good, and also may appeal to more adult
> readers. A newer artist like David, is also quite good.
> There seems to be a decline of Mouse-stories too, and this worries me a bit.
> I think the quality of these stories nowadays is very high, and often it's
> the Mickey-story I enjoy most in the weekly. Then it's a shame that only a
> fifth of the comic is dedicated to Mickey and friends. I really pity the
> dutch readers who don't get to read many of these very good Mickey-stories
> in their weekly. On the other hand they got more of other stuff.
>
> What do other members on this mailing-list think of this subject?

In my opinion the quality of the stories nowadays isn't very high, it turned
down in the 90ies. Even the Ducks, MM or other stories, they are on a
low level. I hope that these stories will change their principels, meaning
not making them based on action and with a more intelligent story. I guess
that these new stories aren't so popular, because in our weekly often old
Barks stories are published...

Alex