Donald as kid, fact-pages in latest issues

Anders Christian Sivebaek acsive at mail.mira.dk
Fri Mar 31 18:58:18 CEST 2000

Hi friends
Woiw is it nice to know that the list is up again! It's been hard this
week with almsot no mails... I need my daily fix of DCML I tell you...

So, I start here with hoping Jørgen takes care of the story rewievs and
I'll tell you about the sometimes great, sometimes poor danish
editorials. Let me point out that they are made, or at least destroyed
by the danish publisher, meaning none of the nice people I know, such
as David and Maya.

There was anb editorial in issue 10 on cousin fethry, It seams he
returned to Duckburg in a story written by David Gerstein:-) The
editorial tells that he'll be back for good in Duckburg now!
IN issue 12 they talk again about the "Wish I knew"-page on their
internet-page... There are some fake questions from Magica, Emil Eagle
and Flintheart.
They ask about the Dime, Gyro's best invention (Helper), and what the
first issue of the then-monthly is worth.
There was a new Computerclub story in that issue. The frame style of
this, the Donald gets rich-story and the one I mention next reminds me
of the italian style they use in Paperinik... Which is not necessarily
bad, it's just not what I call the normal style, and it could make some
parents stop buying the weekly for junior... They might not know that
Barks at times has used panel-style even more wild.

Then a question is: how do they make the pages, in whole? Barks made
halfpages, and other artists does too I think, but this has to be made
one by one...

On our backcover or the inside of the backcover the weekly usually
tells about next weeks weekly. This issue 12 told about the april-fools
story, shows the cover, the gift (a beetle), the prize you can win in a
contest. and it tells about two other stories.
A Barks-10-pager, that we have only seen two times before, and a new
series with Donald as a *kid*!

Comments on the Barks-issue: 3rd time is the lucky time they say, so it
might be fine that they print it 3 times... but please not more than
that. We all know that the Fireman-story in issue 1-1949 has been
reprinted (1968, 1979, 1982, 1984, 1994 an tvice in 1999) 7 times as a
comic and as a children's book two times (different series, different
stories). That's the record I think, but some stories may beat it
sometime...
with a Barks Library coming in Denmark sometime (according to a fanzine
who interviewed the responsible publisher) we'll see all the stories at
least once more...

The Donald as a kid-issue: Many times Don Rosa has been asked to make a
story about his life and times, and said no, as Donald is not so
interesting as Scrooge is, in Don's opinion. Egmont might not object to
that, but they are publishing some Donald as lad-stories now. I feared
it when I saw the ad for it on issue 12, a series where Donald is just
a kid throwing tantrums instead of a grown-up... (I put it on the peak
here... I know Donald is calm in many stories!)

Well the story in issue 13 is quite nice, though it has this same style
that the Computer-stories has. Not the same colouring though. It seems
they color the Computerstories with a good programe where the colours
change in the room between the lines. I'll let you read the sotry
yourself, about Donald in school, but I have to comment on the lovely
fact-page. Two drawings from Lo$ (Rosa) one from the second JW-story
(Barks), and a picture of the new-cracked Donald(Rota). In the texct
they also tell about some TV-programe called This is your life Donald
Duck (any connection to the Strobl-series?). No references,
surprisingly!
It also tells that the Marco Rota story of Donald's life will be in
issue 16, the big easter-issue. I yell hooray, even if I do have both
the album and the norwegian publication of the story from 1998.

If anyone finds these rewieva boring please tell, and I'll think about
stopping:-)

AC

A. C. Sivebaek
acsive at mail.mira.dk