sailor suit...Nash...ebay

Ridout ridout5 at erols.com
Fri May 19 05:28:48 CEST 2000

> From: Pietro Reynaud-Bersanino
> young
> boy.
>
> What? Rich kids wore sailor shirts back around 1905, not 1934. Donald wore
> that outfit because they were creating a DUCK character, so like many
other
> duck characters before and after Donald, he was dressed like a sailor
> because ducks travel around in water. The cartoon also showed him living
on
> a boat and dancing a sailor hornpipe. He was wearing the sailor-suit
> because he was a sailor-duck (if only for that ONE time).

In the 50th aniversery book which came out for Donald's birthday in 1984,
there is a quote from Walt Disney that they put donald in a sailor suit
because sailor suits "were quite typical for young boys to wear in the
thirties" and that they had wanted Donald to seem as immature as possible
since he and Peter Pig were prepresenting the "just desserts" aspect of 'The
Wise Little Hen'. (woops, now there's a run on sentence...)

In that same book, there's a section on Clarence Nash. It said that Clarence
came to Walt with a whole bunch of animal immiations. Donald's voice had
initially been his immitation of a baby goat but when Walt heard it he was
like, "I found my duck!" (cause I think they were already working on 'The
Wise Little Hen' at that time...or something like that....)

Anyway....I'm only catching up on about a weeks worth of digests now, so I
guess I'm jumping in kind of late... Right now there's every single one of
the out of print Carl Barks Library sets for sale on ebay. I thought I'd
mention it because I know the later ones are very difficult to find, and I
think I recall that someone had part of their collection stolen a while ago
or something, and didn't think they'd be able to replace certain volumes...

rebecca