Early Gladstones

Eta Beta eega at supereva.it
Wed May 24 18:40:39 CEST 2000

DAVID, HARRY

>> ...what, pray tell, are the first appearances of *Gladstone* by
>> someone other than Carl Barks? I know the (1951) fishing
>> contest story we
>> lately discussed must have been one of the first, but is
>> there anything earlier?
>
>I found one Scrooge story, just a few months earlier:
>
>W OS  353-04   6                    BMo     US
>[desc:The missing dollar] [xapp:US,GL,GD] [ser:Album]
>
>(DD Album Four Color 353, dated November 1951, 6 pages, art Moore, featuring
>Scrooge, Gladstone and Grandma.)
>

>The Fishing Contest story was in Donald Duck Four Color 379, dated March
>1952.

There's also  W CP    4-02 (Uncle Scrooge's Generous Deed), 11/52, a very
brief appearance, of the sort we call "cameo" (in fact, it's not recorded
in Inducks yet)

>As far as we know, the first non-Barks story with Gladstone in WDC is in
>1961 (WDC 247)!

But there's a Bradbury one in  W DD   28-04 (apple slogans), from 3/53,
and he was used in Italy as early as 1952, the first I've found is

I AO 52369-A  Paperino e i due marziani, by Anzi, 12/52

Cheers

Eta Beta