Carl Barks on Death

Dr. Archontis Pantsios apantsio at ac.anatolia.edu.gr
Wed Nov 22 13:19:49 CET 2000

Fellow Quackeroos:

Reading Barks' stories one gets a pretty good idea of his attitude towards
life's many twists and turns. However, how did he view death? Here's Barks'
views on death in his own words, as he expounded them on June 18, 2000, a
couple of months before his passing:

<<When a person dies, what is called the soul is just a bunch of spools of
memory that dies with the body.

Cemeteries and funerals are for the living, not the dead. When I go out to
visit Gare's grave, I can almost feel her presence, but to visualize what's
really there--by now a bunch of bones in a coffin--I feel that's none of my
business: to visit with the dead. To think about souls wandering around and
peering into windows and looking for bodies to enter--it's all just too
ridiculous. When we die--that's the end. All of the memories we've stored up
just disappear--like on a computer.

I think of death as total peace and escape--you're beyond the clutches of
all those who would crush you.

I have no apprehension, no fear of death. I do not believe in an afterlife.
I've known so many people who spent their lives worrying about an afterlife.

We're like a weed--you see it and trample it to the ground and don't think
anything about it. We're like that weed--we have our little life and when
we're gone, we're gone.>>

(Taken from "From the Duck's Mouth", The Comics Journal #227, September 2000)

Best,

Archontis

Archontis L. Pantsios, Ph.D.
Assistant Academic Dean and Associate Professor
The American College of Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki, Greece
Phone: +30 31 398228