Uncle Scrooge in the Junior Woodchucks

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Thu Nov 30 18:03:55 CET 2000

DON ROSA, 27-11-2000:

> The reason I would ignore the stories that he only wrote (the "Junior
> Woodchuck" stories) is that Barks seemed to be doing stories about
> the JW's, and using $crooge as only a background character, and
> I don't really like the $crooge character that appears in some of
> those stories. He seems like a new character compared to the older
> stories.

In a December 11, 1969 letter to Michael Barrier, Barks commented on
Uncle Scrooge's role in the Junior Woodchuck story:

"In the story I did in Sept.(?) ["Peril of the Black Forest", JW 6]
I used Uncle Scrooge as the villain. I'm doing the same in the
current story. Analyzing all the things you fans have written and
said I've included that you all liked him best when he was the menace
in the duck stories. When he became the hero, with his own book,
I had to be careful how bad I made him."

Maybe Carl Barks used Uncle Scrooge as he appeared in stories like
"Voodoo Hoodoo" (OS 238) and "A Christmas For Shacktown" (OS 367),
which were published before he became the main character in his
own comic?

Best wishes,

--- Daniel