289

Antonio Svevi robert662 at caramail.com
Wed Oct 18 19:38:51 CEST 2000

John Garvin:
>I think that Lewis Carrol had the right to make money
>from his characters and books as long as he was alive.
>I would even go so far as to say that his family
>could profit from them for another 20 years after his
>death (this is current copyright law, give or take.)
>I don't think, had Carrol been writing under a "work
>for hire" contract, as Barks had to do his entire life,
>for a greedy corporation, that that corporation would
>be entitled to profit from his work forever. THAT, is
>what Disney is fighting for even now. You're darn right
>I want a revolution.

And what I was trying to say in my previous message is that
this behaviour is not even legal in some places.

People, associations, companies have been trying to "buy"
the full copyrigths of some famous painters or artists for
years. This is not possible in France. Even if the author or
his family wants to, he can not sell all of its rigths on
his own works to any party.

Disney on the other hand considers they have full rigths to
all comics with Donald or Mickey. Of course, how can an
artist sue Disney or its subsidiaries? What can someone do
against such a big company? nothing. But that doesn't make
it legal.
See? The discussion began wether people on the Internet were
breaking the law. But who really is "breaking" the law?

Francesco:
>>In all European comics I know of, authors get paid
>>every time one of their stories is reprinted, in any
>>country.
>
>Not in Italy and not by Disney Italia as long as I think
>to remember.

Indeed, and this is the Disney exception I wanted to point
out.

Asterix, Lagaffe, and countless other non Disney comics are
owned by their real authors.