a dangerous man replies to Stefan

Santiago Garcia Banhos sgarcia at uf-isf.es
Fri Oct 20 15:40:51 CEST 2000

John Garvin, Stefan Dios, and others:

I have read with much interest the recent discussion on this list about
copyrights, and though I agree with someone's and some other's ideas, I'd
like to make some remarks to John Garvin, with all my respect:

>The world of ideas is the world of ideas, I see no distinction between art
>and information.
This is more or less like saying 'The world of Internet is the world of
Internet: No distinction between e-mail and websites'

IMHO: information is *researched*; art is *created* (more or less):
Information is a thing to make your living easier, and everybody has the
right to access it (like Mathematics, Phyisics, Chemistry, etc), and
everyone sees and knows it the same way. Art is an extension of the soul,
originated in one individual Human Being, and everyone may have his own
vision of Art.

>Second, it is the control of information that makes these human abuses so
>easy.  The first thing a despotic government tries to do when it comes to
>power is take over the printing presses, TV stations, radio airwaves so
>they can control access to information.  The internet represents the free
>access to all information.
All of that is right for me, too. But maybe the origin of all your arguments
is the confussion you have between 'art' and 'info'.

>b. How much money did Superman make National Periodicals?  Joe Shuster and
>Jerry Siegel died in near poverty.
Would they have died rich if they have uploaded for free all their stories?

I have nothing to do with Disney nor any big company else (I am no Disney's
lawyer :-), I even have profited from some pirated-scans on some of the DCML
members websites, which I thank gratefully. But I do not dare to go further
with pirating than just uploading some stories as a way to please fans. Just
think about this: If just one reader bought a weekly and put it on the web,
and everytone reader else downloaded it for free, there would be no more
issues next week. No more stories. No more authors even, 'cos they could not
earn his living with 'freedom of information'...

And (for I see you are keen to historical comparisons) you say a revolution
is comming. Yeah, that's right; But I just do not believe blindly on
revolutions, 'cos they may be no good at all. Must I talk about Comunist
Sovietic revolution?

And I just hope a good friend of mine (a 'declared pirate') may forgive me
about this statements.

Greetings for all of yours,

Santiago.