Carl Barks

bhc@primenet.com bhc at primenet.com
Fri Sep 1 00:51:36 CEST 2000

A short time back (responding to DCML Vol.1 #211) I wrote this about
Carl Barks:

"...he has been one of the most enduring living icons of the comics
business, and those of us who have cherished him as well as his work
will have some...well, adjusting to do, to say the least."

When I was told of Carl's passing, I was alone in the office, it was
cold and rainy out (unusual for a Prescott, Arizona August), and I
couldn't quite seem to focus on anything else that day. Reality can
be dismal.

Two days ago I was in Baltimore at Diamond, in the very special art
gallery there, where before me was arrayed of some of Carl's greatest
paintings, all colorful, vibrant, bursting with life. Reality can be
pure joy.

Death only comes. It is life that triumphs.
--
Gary