DCML digest, Vol 1 #261 - 3 msgs

Willibald Wundermild wunderwurm at gmx.ch
Sat Sep 16 08:41:15 CEST 2000

Hi all,
       Ola Martinsson schrieb:
>  Wundermilds Pages not accessible
> anymore,
> why ?
>
> I just tried to access the wonderful

Many thanks!

> homepage of Wundermilds Donald Duck
> Comic Book Rarities. When I try to look closer at a thumbnail a black
> page comes up instead with the following message :
>
> We're sorry, but we can't supply the file you requested.

The reason is simple: While the thumbnail overview files are located on
Yahoo-Geocities, a server that offers free webspace in quantities of 10 MB,
the big images are located on a different server, German Fortunecity (100 MB
webspace). Until now, there were no problems knitting a link from some
non-Fortunecity located file towards a Fortunecity image, but now that is
prohibited. Anyway, thanks for informing me.

The Error message is quoted:
>    In order for us to continue to provide our members with the
> first-class service they expect, we don't allow people to link files
>    from sites hosted with other providers.

That's not quite exactly what I call first class service, ahem! I hope
when writing "files" they really do mean "images"; wouldn't make much sense to
exclude html files or similar from external viewing.
Anyway, that will be my solution for the dilemma: I'll have to write html
pages for every image, embedding the specific images there, and pointing the
links from the thumbnail pages to the new html files.

Here's what to do meanwhile:
1. Click a thumbnail -> the error message appears.
2. Go to the URL field and change the file you want to access, e.g. from
    01.jpg to 02.jpg or from
    43-06-28.jpg to 43-06-29.jpg (for the latter: note there are gaps in
the
    date format files - Sundays! - that produce another error message),
and
    click return.
3. Change the file back to 01.jpg or whatever it was, and return; now the
image shows up (you may have to reload page first, or dump your cache), as
you are coming from a Fortunecity page now.

>    If you believe you deserve the best in free web hosting, join
> FortuneCity.com today! It's easy and it's FREE!

I don't recommend them at the moment.
But I announce to present three new Donald Duck Wheaties giveaway stories
soon!

WW