Huey, Dewey & Louie different experiences

bi442@lafn.org bi442 at lafn.org
Sat Dec 1 02:39:24 CET 2001

(1)Regarding Nils Lid Hjort's question of Barks or non-Barks stories with one
of Donald's nephews being separated from the other two:

In the Barks stories mentioned by Harry, one nephew was separated from the
others by accident during an adventure. All 3 boys were still on the same side
(opposing the villain(s), and did not experience a significant life experience
that would alter their character enough to result in a permanent character
differentiation.

I do, however, remember a story by my ex-colleague, Egmont writer/storyboarder,
Gorm Transgaard (interestingly for Nils,- an half Norwegian).  In this story,
Louie had a severe romantic crush on a girl in school.  His brothers ridiculed
him mercilessly. This was a situation that involved quite different
psychological experiences of the triplets.  It also involved the two being
temporary enemies of the one; thus, a very strong split of their unity (at
least temporarily). They came back together at the end of the story, and we are
expected to understand that there is no permanent affect of this breach in
their relationship.  in real life, such opposition would likely have had a
permanent (even if only very small) effect on their general trust of eachother.
That is a normal part of developing individual personalities in real life.  I
like to assume (as Gorm wished(and his Egmont Editor would have rightly
insisted upon)) that at the end of the story, their relationship was as unified
as ever, as if nothing had happened.

I read the story from his original drawings sometime between 1989 and 1994,
when we both worked in Denmark. I can't remember exactly, but I believe he
submitted it in 1992 or 1993. I do not know when it was printed. perhaps you
can help, David?

Jan Gulbransson (another half-Norwegian) and I worked on a co-production
submitted to Oberon (VNU)in the early 1990s, which had a similar theme. It was
given preliminary approval (and may have even been assigned a story code
number).  But like approximately 200 pages of our co-production stories,
requires minor story changes and drawing revisions that Jan has had no time for
since 1994. Although some of those stories will probably be printed eventually,
I doubt that we'll ever get to THAT one.

Does anyone else remember any stories where the Boys were pitted against
eachother as rivals in a situation?  I seem to have a faint recollection of
seing a few Egmont stories with such situations, but can't remember the story
or book details.

(2)Good luck to the new American Disney chat group's efforts to promote
interest in revival of Disney Comics in USA.  Speaking of Disney Comics in the
English language: I recently offered to find the "Onkel Dagoberts Schatzruhe"
series of Albums/Jumbo Pockets for Richard Olson (who requested help in a DCML
message last week).  He informed me that he had the first 2 in English!!! I
assume these were British Egmont printings.  I had told him that I would look
for German copies of the remaining issues for him (his 2nd language choice);
and that I had seen 2nd hand issues of the Dutch "Dubbelalbum" printings in
Dutch comics and book shops in recent years; and would get him those,if I
couldn't find the German albums for him.

Can anyone tell me if any others of that series (after the first 2) were
printed in English?(David, perhaps?) My experience of Britain is that once a
Disney comic printing's current shelf life was over, it was impossible to find.
I have NEVER seen a used British Egmont issue in a book store or comic shop.
Frank Stajano confirmed that experience.  If, indeed there is no chance to get
them in English, can any of our German members tell me if the German printings
are easily available?  I seem to remember seeing some of them 2nd hand in comic
and book shops in Germany when I worked there during 1986-1994. Sometimes EHAPA
reprints popular classic material. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Rob
Klein