SV: The second-biggest frog

Frank Stajano fstajano at uk.research.att.com
Thu Feb 15 16:49:32 CET 2001

At 2001-02-14 14:16 +0100, François Willot wrote:
> > Where did you learn the last word above? Franquin's Gaston perhaps? Do you
> > know what it means?
>
>Indeed Gaston (ask our Italian Gaston expert Eta Beta about it). The later
>means "Nom de dieu" = "for God's sake" !

The question was not "What does it mean?" but "Do you know what it means?".

*I* knew what it meant -- I just wondered if the people who repeated it as
a cute comic-style curse knew that they were uttering a mild blasphemy.

Note that, as far as I am personally concerned,  I am not in the least
upset by this, being an atheist. But, to those who follow a religion that
orders them not to pronounce the name of their God in vain, it might be
shocking to discover that they just voiced a euphemistically disguised
placeholder for "name of God".

Similarly embarrassing might be the situation of a non-religious person
saying something like that (without knowledge of the meaning) in the
presence of religious people who instead understood it.

There are many other similar cases. The DCML members who are also pikers
might remember "silverware". The latest I've come across (only through
retelling, though, so I can't give you any first-hand guarantees about the
accuracy) is that of Japanese girls happily and unknowingly wearing with
T-shirts that sport fashionably foreign writings in an unintelligible
script and language --- which turn out to be unflattering and/or sexually
oriented comments about the wearer, written in English.

  Frank (filologo disneyano)  http://www.uk.research.att.com/~fms/