Assorted curses (TOT=terribly OT)

Becca Ridout skyrat13 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 16 18:40:57 CET 2001

>my all-time favourite remains old Captain Haddock (of
>Tintin fame), with his "Mille millions de mille sabords!", which sounds
>even better in the english rendition, "Billions of bilious blue >blistering
>barnacles!"  :-))))

Thundering typhoons! captain haddock's great!
(hm, perhaps that explains why the cult of tintin mailing list has so many
flame wars.....)

>But no, "for xxx's sake" is a perfectly "legitimate" expression in
>english except when some divinity is involved or, perhaps, when it's
>obvious the central word is a replacement for that...

hmmm...come to think of it, 'pete' seems to be the offical replacement for
'God'....another common substitution phrase is: "geeze-oh-pete!"
who the heck is this mysterious 'pete'?!!!!!!!!!!!

rebecca

"Narf"