Carol Voges' Ducks

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Sun Jan 14 18:36:14 CET 2001

Regarding Henri Kunne's query over opinions on Carol Voges' Ducks:

Hoi Henri!

I agree with Harry.  To me, Carol's Ducks are ugly.  Of course, (as Ole
Reichstein Nielsen pointed out) that is likely because I am measuring the
quality of all Duck drawings based on my having been introduced to the
Ducks by seeing Carl Barks' Ducks.  I do also like the Ducks of  Walt
Kelly, Ben Verhagen, Freddy Milton, Daniel Branca, later Jan Gulbransson
work,  Daan Jippes (his Barks type - not his Murray type), Jack Bradbury,
Marco Rota (at his best - quality of his Ducks varies from panel to panel);
pre 1959 (1958 and older) Tony Strobl work, and a few others...

I do Not like the Ducks of Carol, Romano Scarpa, post 1958 (1959 and later)
Tony Strobl work, most of the Italian artists, McSavage, Harry Balm, Danny
Wanner, Jules Coenen (sometimes), Marc de Jonge, most of the other Western
Publishing artists, Don Rosa, Paul Murray,many of the Hachette artists,
many of the Egmont Spanish artists....etc.

Eddy van Schuylenburg, Vicar, Jules Coenen (at his best), Michel Nadorp,
Endre Lucasz, Carpi, Cavazzano (at his best)

As you can tell from these lists, my views (as those of most people) come
from personal taste, and do not relate exactly to technical competence of
the artist.  I like the Mice characters of Romano Scarpa very much; and
like Murray's Mouse/Dog characters much better than his Ducks.  They are
both very talented and technically competent artists.  It is a matter of
style chosen by the artist, and individual taste of the fan.

It is clear from Carol Voges drawings of funny animal characters, that he
put a lot of action and personality into them.  He was an accomplished
cartoonist.  I don't think one can "infer" from his Disney drawings that he
did that work grudgingly, so he could have Donald Duck Weekblad as a "forum
or outlet" for his cartoon work with human figures (although I believe that
to be somewhat true).  The quality of his "Serious" work with human figures
did show a flair for it and love of that work , which may not show through
as strongly in his funny animal drawings.

It will be interesting to see what other DCML members say.   Rob Klein