Bob Foster: storyboard sketches!

Fernando Ventura fernandopventura at uol.com.br
Sun Jan 14 14:31:03 CET 2001

Bob Foster:

 >  Yes, I wrote the Duck strip from 1980 through 1990, daily and Sunday,
and
>I have boxes full of the original roughs.  I always wrote in "storyboard"
>format.  When I edited Donald Duck Adventures, Uncle Scrooge Adventures,
>DuckTales and Walt Disney's Comics and Stories I almost always did a layout
>sketch for the covers, and I have most of those, too.  I was always
delighted
>by the final artwork that artists interpreted from my sketches.  Their
>problem was putting the characters on model while trying to retain some of
>the attitudes I had put into the roughs.  A real challenge!  The solutions
>they came up with were always impressive.

Yes! It is really interisting! I love to see this storyboard sketches! When
the artist are able to catch all the attitudes and expressions that the
writter are putting on the board, the story begin GREAT!!!
Some very good artists are not able to do it! When I see the naturality of
the original board, I prefer very much more the work of the writter!

I really enjoy the board of Arthur Faria Jr.

I aspect to see, one day, a book with this original storyboards of Disney
Comic Books Creators! I think it can be very good and interistign!

I saw very few boards of others artists, but I remenber something from Don
Rosa and I liked it a lot too!

If DCML readers are interested, and
>if I can figure out how to scan and send, I'd be happy to post some of the
>roughs next to copies of the final art so DCML members can see what a great
>job the artists did (for educational purposes, of course.) I've recently
>moved, so I'd have to dig things out of storage, but give me some time and
>I'll see what I can come up with.

I'm really interested on it, Bob! Thank You for the idea!!!
I have a questiom to you! I see on your index of I.N.D.U.C.K.S that you
writted a Hercules story that was draw here on Brazil! You know why it was
sending to Brazil to be draw? Maybe they(?) liked the previous drawings of
some Brazilian histories with this movies characters?

Fernando!
That really enjoy Storyboard drawings!