Iliad

Armando Botto bolcano at tin.it
Sun Jul 1 11:31:27 CEST 2001

Petri:
>> "Paperiade", written by Guido Martina and drawn by Luciano Bottaro, first
appeared in "Topolino" #202-204 (1959).
> Great you reminded me about this story. I've ment to ask a question about
it. At page 53 when Daisy comes to visit the island, she seems to be redrawn
by Perego. That is at least in the Finnish version. I've made a scan of the
page at: http://www.hut.fi/~pkannine/iines.jpg (207 kb)
Is it same in every country?

Very likely so: the art is exactly the same as in the original edition of
the story.
Before looking at the scan, I thought this to be one more instance of Perego
drawing a panel or two in order to "connect" the different parts of the
story for a "Classici di Walt Disney" reprint (the story was originally
published in "Topolino" as a 3-parter, with title and splash page for every
part).
However, page 53 was in the middle of the second part, therefore that's not
the case.
Furthermore, at a closer look, you'll see that Daisy seems to be drawn by
Taliaferro, rather than Perego.
My theory is that Bottaro (or, more likely, one of his assistants) copied
Daisy from a Taliaferro model sheet, maybe because he was in a hurry to meet
his deadline for delivering the story. This "heavy" usage of model sheets is
very well documented at Marco Barlotti's page:
http://marcobar.cce.unifi.it/Fumetti/Cloni.
(BTW, you can indeed find some Perego art in "Paperiade": the Goofy at page
32 is unmistekeably Perego's. I cannot check on the original "Topolino"
#202, but I could bet that the original pages 29-30-31 of the story have
been heavily edited and remounted to form pages 29-30-31-32 of the
"Classici" reprint.)

Kriton:
> Well, the story relies on Scrooge tricking Donald into believing that the
Beagles had kidnapped Daisy rather than having stolen his checker-board. In
Greek, the word "ntama" (pronounced "dama") can mean either the game of
checkers, the queen of hearts, or a dance partner. This is *very* weak
word-play, but it was probably the best the translator could do. I wonder
what was in the original script, and whether the word-play is much better in
Italian.

The original script is identical. Maybe the word-play works better, as the
Italian word "dama" can indicate also the checker-board, and a generic
"lady" (not only a dance partner).

Ciao,
Armando