Anders and "Sailing the Spanish Main"

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sat Jul 7 19:51:52 CEST 2001

ANDERS CHRISTIAN SIVEBEAK, 16-06-2001:

> [...] Sailing the Spanish Main - excuse me my perhaps utterly
> strange wievpoint but so far I always thought like this when
> I looked at that poster with the painting: Is there no story
> where they experience that?

As the painting shows too many ducks being cramped together
on a small vehicle, maybe the story behind it could be that
the little boat is a "floating version" of Donald's 313 car? :-)

QUESTION: What does "Sailing the Spanish Main" mean?

According to my dictionary it's a historical term for
"the coast and sea from Panama to Amazone".

What is the history behind this term and how is it used nowadays?
Why did Barks use it as a title for this painting? Is there a joke
or reference I should know to understand the paintings' title?

BTW. I think that Procol Harum's 1970s song "Pandora's Box" also refers
to the "Spanish Main". (If not, I possibly have a contribution to one
of the sites that collect "misheard lyrics".) I don't know what the
song is about, though.

- Daniel