Barks items (010708)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sun Jul 8 07:02:40 CEST 2001

Links to rare/original/unpublished Barks items. I don't have any
connection with the sellers or the sites. If you've seen other
rare/original/unpublished items, I hope you'll post them to the list
as well. Information is taken from the sellers' descriptions, unless
otherwise noted. ("DvE")

Items at Ebay (http://www.ebay.com):

- - - - - - -

Lot of Carl Barks Memorabilia
Item # 1443653447
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1443653447

Did you know that Carl Barks lived in Grants Pass, Oregon? Most people who
lived in his neighbordhood didn't know...

He was 99 years old when he died in August, 2000. His wife, Margaret "Gare"
Barks was also a very talented artist, she died on March 10, 1993. Their
precious estate was auctioned to the public at their home in Grants Pass on
June 30, 2001. We were present and acquired from the Barks Estate the
following memorabilia which we now offer to the public:

5 Journals, with entries from Carl Barks & His Wife-Gare Barks, which
contain Famous Contact Names, Addresses & Phone Numbers as well as Memos,
Important Meetings w/Disney Associates, Misc. Personal Info. & Bark's
Autographs.

The Maestro's Signing Pen.

Bark's Collection of 40 B/W Harper's Weekly Postcards, dating back to 1873
thru 1905.

A Donald Duck Pen.

3 Drawing Pencils & a Triangle (initialed CB).

Some Sketchpads & Notepads.

A Handmade Duster Brush (for sweeping away excess pencil lead & erasure).

An Exacto Knife in original container.

10' Big Chief Tape Measure, made by Carlson & Sullivan (old).

A May 1953 Consumer Reports Issue Addressed To Carl Barks (there are some
cartoon drawings in this issue).

A Fall 1995 Juxtapoz Issue with an article mention featuring Carl Bark's
oil painting & promotion of Donald Duck in "A Tall Ship and a Star To Steer
Her By".

A Notepad from the desk of Mr. Carl Barks.

A 3-1/2" x 4-1/2" Miniature Oil Painting (signed JC).

12 Cards, 12 Envelopes-4"x5-1/4", one scene: Slowpoke, blank inside,
Created by Gare Barks (her name signed on front & printed on back).

9 Cards, 9 Envelopes-4"x5-1/4", one scene: Dawn Mystique, blank inside,
Created by Gare Barks (her name signed on front & printed on back).

5 Miscallaneous Cards-5"x7" Beautiful Creations by Gare Barks (her name
signed on front & printed on back).

4 Funeral Notice Cards (In Memory of Gare).

25 Gratitude for Sympathy Cards.

I am also sending along the Auction ad out of the newspaper & some Donald
Duck, Uncle Scrooge & other Comic Books whose characters were created by
Carl Barks. Obviously, there are many item that could not be shown in the
photos for lack of space.

[...] If you would like more photos or info, please E-MAIL ME
[The address is "smitty at cybernetisp", DvE.]

For photos & more info on what was sold at auction, please check out this
site: http://www.estatesalesunlimited.com Auction Held by Robin Gordon
Auctioneers

- - - - - - -

DONALD DUCK, No. 26, Trick or Treat, BARKS
Item # 1164010100
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1164010100

[I mention this comic because the back cover with the halloween mask
is shown. In this comic, the last tier of Barks "frightful face" gag
was horizontally shortened to fit in an announcement referring to the
mask on the back cover. That announcement seems to use Barks' gag as
explanation of Donald's face being used as Halloween mask. DvE.]

- - - - - - -

Carl Barks Rare ORIGINAL Art Donald Duck
Item # 1164161530
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1164161530

Carl Barks, legendary duck man of the Walt Disney Studios, has left behind
relatively few examples of signed, original artwork. Those which have made
it to market have been extremely high-priced, often setting records in
sales figures. Here we have an absolutely beautiful rough drawing for one
of Donald Duck's most well-known posters -- "Live It Up, Kid!" The drawing
is done in three-color pencil, red and blue predominate with black used
mostly for the letterring. Unlike many roughs which feature
hurriedly-rendered characters set up for positioning only, it is easy to
see that Carl Barks lavished attention on this rendering of Donald as it
became a presentation piece. Purchased years ago from Bill Grandey and the
Duckburg Gallery the inscription in Carl's hand reads "To Bill" and is over
his highly legible signature. The signature itself is above the official
Walt Disney Studio stamp guaranteeing the sketch's authenticity. The
digital camera photos hardly do justice to this magnificent 12" X 16" image
area. The drawing is protected by a clear overlay and is professionally
matted as shown, ready to be placed into a frame and hung in your home or
office. Payment may be made via money order, IRC or PayPal. We reserve the
right to refuse any bidder. We will, in recognition of Carl's many
worldwide fans, ship to international eBay'ers as well as US residents --
shipping and mandatory insurance will be an additional expense paid for by
the bidder. Whether you intend this to be a family heirloom or an
investment that will probably do better than most dotcom stocks -- here is
a perhaps once-in-a-lifetime chance to own an affordable, signed, Carl
Barks original drawing.

["Supersize Picture" link contains a larger, more detailed scan. DvE.]

- Daniel