Things you don't see in Disney comics

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sun Jul 8 21:58:19 CEST 2001

ARI SEPPI to ODD BJARNE, 21-06-2001:

> In "King Scrooge the First" W US 71-01 (story by Barks) 4000-year-old
> magician kills himself by taking antidote to immortality powder.

What about animals being killed? These Barks stories are from memory:

In the Curthbert Coot ranch story (WDC 55), Donald falls into a lake
with his horse. The horse sinks down and manages to get out of the
water by cutting the rope that is tied to the horse. The horse is not
shown getting out of the water.

In "Darkest Africa" (MOC 20), an alligator is poisoned. The Dutch
publication suggests that the alligator is asleep, but as far as
I remember the original clearly suggests that the alligator is death.

In the pilgrim costume turkey story (WDC 87), a bird in a tree is
killed and prepared for consumption. I don't remember what bird it
was, but I seem to remember that it was changed in later (1990s?)
reprints because of being a rare one.

In "Only A Poor Old man" (OS 386), a mouse getting caught by a
mouse-trap is shown, and Uncle Scrooge shoots some insects.

In "Froggy Farmer" (WDC 236) Donald is hunting for frogs to sell them
for consumption, but as far as I remember, no frogs get killed.

BTW. In some stories Barks' showed too many fish (or one very big fish)
in a small bowl. I don't remember where I read it, but I remember
that Barks got at least one complaint about it: from his wife Gare.
She thought that children might feel tempted to do the same with
real fish. Personally I don't find this a strange thought, because
people *do* have a habit of putting a bird in a small cage or putting
a fish in a small bowl.

- Daniel