" Oy Vey " II

WL Lilly liljerryandtheyadayadakiddz at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 28 01:17:30 CEST 2001

...As I said while I guess it might have deeper roots
than frustration at awful comics sales ( And " Oh , my
stars and garters " , and the like , cheese and
crackers alrighty ! " , might've been rooted in the
devoutly - or , at least , wishing to be perceived so
-  Christian wishing to " curse " without either
blaspheming , or using " swear words " . ) , but ,
yeah , I guess in modern-day Ameriac it's just picked
up a
" mild/comical frustration " ,
more or less , meaning .
  As I started to say ( given that posting of the
Fantastic Four gag cartoon , which I recall as
originating during Don's RBCC fan years ! ) , I recall
a fan-era ( non-Disney ) gag cartoon or two - or ,
possibly , Pertwillably Papers ? - using the
phrase/variations on it .
  I recall a writer of two in the U.S. writing about
mild discontent , on the part of some Jews , at such
phrase having so widely spread into American useage
( In the recent past , I remember both writer Calvin
Trillin and the WALL STREET JOURNAL publishing pices
mentioning this . ) , often somewhat
simplifying/softening the original meaning...So
it goes !!!!!