Barks and Hendrix chickens (DD 138)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Mon Jul 30 17:16:33 CEST 2001

A person who is writing a book about Jimi Hendrix asked the following:

"I understand that one of his songs entitled '3rd Stone from the Sun'
(aka Third Stone From The Sun) partly inspired a Donald Duck story
called 'Officer Of The Day' in a Donald Duck comic (specifically the
bit in Hendrix's song where aliens think chickens are earth's most
intelligent species). Is there any further information you can furnish
me with regarding this? Was Carl Barks a Hendrix fan?"

The message was forwarded to me by a Barks fan who had answered the
writer with this reply:

"I doubt very much that Barks ever was a Hendrix fan. I cannot remember a
single statement in which he expressed his fondness of Hendrix or of the
contemporary rock music. He was already 67 years old when he wrote "Officer
for a Day" and his attitude towards society was more on the conservative
side. In fact he more than once poked fun at artists and musicians of the
"beatnik" or "hippie" kind in his comics of the 60's - in a rather
sarcastical tone, I might add.

Of course it _might_ be possible that he heard the song on the radio and
found the line about the "superior cackling hen" funny enough to integrate
it into his comic story.

In the comic the exact words are, "The only _intelligent_ beings were the
ones with feathers in the wire cage!"

Since the wording is completely different, there is no clear evidence that
this part was really inspired by Hendrix' song. We will never know for sure,
I'm afraid ..."

- - - - - - -

I've searched for the lyrics of this Jimi Hendrix song. As I don't know
this Jimi Hendrix song myself, I cannot judge if the lyrics are correct
or complete:

- - - - - - -

Third Stone From The Sun
Words and Music by Jimi Hendrix
Copyright (c) 1967, 1996 Experience Hendrix, L.L.C.

Verse 1
 Oh strange beautiful grass of green
 with your majestic silken scenes
 Your mysterious mountains
 I wish to see closer
 May I land my kinky machine

Verse 2
 Although your world wonders me
 with your majestic superior cackling hen
 Your people I do not understand
 So to you I wish to put an end
 And you'll never hear surf music again

- - - - - - -

The song is from Hendrix' debut album, "Are you experienced?",
released in August 1967. I haven't searched for other releases,
so I don't know if the song was released as a single.

According to Barrier, Barks submitted "Officer For A Day" [DD 138]
on November 6, 1968. It was published in Donald Duck 138, with cover
date July 1969.

I was asked for my opinion and apart from being sceptical, the only
'possible' connections I could think of was that a fan might have
mentioned this Jimi Hendrix song to Carl Barks, or that both Barks
and Hendrix might independently have been inspired by an earlier
similar source.

Of course, there's always the possibility that Barks and Hendrix both
coincidentally thought of the same idea. The resemblance and connection
between Hendrix's song and Barks' story are discussable, but that is
exactly the reason why I bring it up here on this mailing list. :-)

Please let me know what you think of it.

- Daniel