Death in Disney comics

Petri Kanninen pkanninen at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 31 14:54:17 CEST 2001

ME & ARMANDO
>>In "Topolino e i fantasmi neri" (I TL 466-B) two of Clarabelle's uncles
>>have an accident with a helicopter and die. This happens in >> an episode
>>drawn by Perego (otherwise the story is drawn by Carpi) >> so I don't know
>>if the scene is in the original publications.
>Interesting... I TL 466-B has just been reprinted in Italy in "Grandi
>Classici" 176: Clarabelle's uncles die because of the explosion of a >bomb
>in their pumpkin field. The scene is drawn by Carpi. I've >checked an older
>Italian reprint (CWD 32, from 1969), and there's no >trace of Perego there,
>either... maybe Perego re-drew the scene for a later reprint (CD 57, >or TM
>27)? Can anybody check?

How many pages are there explaning uncles' deaths? In Finnish edition it is
three pages long and goes something like this:
CL's uncles have just finished counting their massive pumpkin harvest.
Suddenly their friend(?) runs to them pointing in the sky and says "There's
a helicopter coming!" The helicopter lands on their field destroying many of
the pumpkins. The pilot comes out and says he wanted to rest awhile and
landed. (Is that courteous or what?!) CL's uncles are a bit annoyed because
they now don't know how many pumpkins there are left. Their friend comes up
with an idea. The pilot lets them use the helicopter and they can easily
count the pumpkins from the air (excuse me?). Pilot says OK and CL's uncles
clime in the helicopter (not the pilot). They rise and soon the pilot starts
wondering why they're flying so far away. The uncle's friend says that it's
simple: they don't know how to fly a helicopter.
Story also says that CL's uncles bodies were later found in the river. Don't
remember if this was part of the Perego drawn episode.

Well, this brilliant show of logic and rationality has always left me quite
disturbed. Hope you enjoyed it!
BTW. It would be nice to see how original episode goes. I'll try to put
scans of the Finnish edition on the net in the weekend.