WDC & S circulation

bi442@lafn.org bi442 at lafn.org
Fri Jun 1 19:35:54 CEST 2001

I must apologise to Mr. W.L. Lilly for my having a memory made of mush.  I
realise now, that the all-time high comic book sales figures quoted at above
3million, must have been ANNUAL sales totals, NOT monthly circulation totals.
As the indicia and legally mandatory "circulation statement" did not, in those
times, include print run totals, we do not have access to monthly figures.  The
figures quoted to me by Malcom Willits and others in the 1960s AND those
printed in Willits' article must be annual figures.Tom Andrae informed me that
the monthly figures are not available.  So, in 1953, (mostly)the same group of
250,000 - 270,000 people wer buying Walt Disney's Comics and stories each
month.  So, we have no way of knowing what the drop-off was when Barks' stories
stopped appearing.

My feeble memory now reminds me that we had this same discussion several months
ago among several Scandinavian, a few Finnish and a few US DCML members.

If anyone has John Nichols' current e-mail address, could they please send it
to me.  I can then ask him what circulation or sales figures are in his Barks
Collector back issue.  Thanks,  Rob Klein