DCML digest, Vol 1 #553 - 9 msgs re: From: "Olivier", Subject: Paintings & Covers

Pascal Oost oost at xs4all.nl
Sun Jun 3 20:03:19 CEST 2001

Op 02-06-2001 12:05 schreef dcml-request at stp.ling.uu.se
<dcml-request at stp.ling.uu.se>:

> Message: 4
> From: "Olivier" <mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr>
> To: "x DCML" <dcml at stp.ling.uu.se>
> Subject: Paintings & Covers
> Date:   Fri, 1 Jun 2001 19:18:00 +0200
>
> Hello everyone!
>
> Does anyone know Harry Balm and have a few scans of  his paintings?
> Dreidreizehn (http://www.dreidreizehn.de/) announces Egmont will publish
> with 30 paintings by him in August, but the cover is much too small (it's a
> thumbnail).

Harry Balm was employed as an artist for the Spaarnestad / Oberon /
Geïllustreerde Pers, the publisher of the Dutch Donald Duck weekly, until he
retired a couple of years ago.
He started doing (non-Disney) comics, later he worked as designer / lay
outer for the Disney-periodicals, although he was suspected to consider the
painting he did at home as his "real" work. He was (is?) quite successful as
a painter.
For Donald Duck weekly, he made a lot of Duckstuff: variations on old
paintings (e.g. Rembrandt's "Nachtwacht"), portraits of historical figures
and scenes from classic books. As examples, I took three pictures from a
calendar with his work. You can find them here:

<http://home.wanadoo.nl/poost/>

I think you should consider Harry Balm more as a painter who also did some
Disney-work, than as a Disney-artist who did some of his work in paint.