Character Models

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Fri Jun 8 15:54:58 CEST 2001

I agree with Achrontis that the artists should stick (to some degree) to
their studio's model for individual characters.  I believe each artist
should develop their own style and have the freedom of their own
expression.  But the character should be recogniseable.  No one has forced
the artists at gunpoint to work for Disney.  They have the freedom to
develop and market their own characters in their own universe, if they so
choose.  However, it is up to the editors of the individual publishers to
implement the standards determining the degree to which drawings much
adhere to the models.  It is clear that the Italians have deviated from the
original US models more than most of the other publishers.  If the Disney
Company department which grants the franchises and oversees the overseas
Disney publications offices does not have a problem with a given level of
straying from the model, then it becomes "acceptable".  The Italian artists
who's figures are most distorted and stray MOST from the original US models
are my least favourite.  The stories they draw are ruined for me, at least
in terms of my thinking of them as taking place in the "Duck Universe".

I also agree with Soeren Krarup Oleson, that Don Rosa's "best" (at least my
favourite of his) stories are those which are not slavishly tied to the
information Barks provided in previous stories.  This is something that is
a natural and automatic result, which cannot be avoided.  Naturally, having
to tie a plot around the connecting of events to the linking of the details
of previous events would result in the use of less originality than
inventing all new details and tying a completely new plot around these new
details.
I believe there is a place for Both types of stories by him.  Those of us
who wish to read about and visualise what happened before and after one of
Barks' classical stories, or learn more about the details relating to them
will likely enjoy Don's historical stories more.  Those of us who enjoy,
even more, Don's cereativity in stories not related to specific Barks
references, will enjoy Don's unrelated stories more.  This way, everyone
can be happy to some degree.  The only problem comes between the groups of
fans who want Don to produce a higher percentage of his stories (or story
pages) in their particular genre of choice.

Rob Klein