Don Rosa's Stories

bi442@lafn.org bi442 at lafn.org
Sun Jun 10 08:33:46 CEST 2001

This is an apology from me (Rob Klein) to Don Rosa and any of his fans for not
making clear my statements regarding MY SPECIFIC TASTE in differentiating two
types of his stories (only speaking for my taste (and not as to the quality of
his skill and his level of effort)).

I am sorry Don.  I did not mean to disparage your efforts or the quality of
your stories.  I am a fan of BOTH types of your stories, and feel there is a
need for both.  The number of fans you have that like both types bear this
out.  I realise that there is no question that it is many times more difficult
(and many times more work) to wrap a new story, prequel or sequel around gospel
information provided by Barks in previous stories.  There is also no doubt that
lots of creativity must go into thinking up new directions for those stories to
go.  I was only speaking for myself, that my top few most favourite stories of
yours have all been without strong ties to previous Barks stories and have not
included any of the Scrooge Histories.  That is not to say that I don't like
the latter (as I DO). Actually, I am a bit jealous of you in that regard, as I
had planned to do just the type of storytelling in Duck history that you are
doing, from the time of my early years.  To my taste, you have written and
drawn many great and funny stories in both categories.  I don't believe all
the "gag" stories are better than all the histories.  Nothing of the sort!
Some are better than others in each category.  By the way, A.C., I did not mean
to imply my favourite Rosa stories were "gag" stories - only that they were not
prequels, sequels or Scrooge Histories.  Several of the long, adventure stories
are among my favourites.  It is only my personal opinion that my most favourite
stories of yours come from the category of not being built around a previous
Barks story.  These stories seem to be "fresher" to me.  They seem to be more
spontaneous.  This is all probably a subconscious feeling that eminates from a
prejudiced view that comes from an assumption that the use of "tie-ins and
references" to Barks' previous stories "must involve less direct, new, flowing
action".  This may well be a misconception.

I can only speak about my own taste.  I hope you are not offended.  I did not
mean to imply that ANY of your stories are not creative, nor that they are not
a lot of work.

Rob
Klein