Real names vs. pseudonyms

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Fri Jun 15 12:45:16 CEST 2001

HARRY FLUKS to WILLIAM PRICE, 14-06-2001:

> [...] my personal view is that I prefer letters to be signed by real
> names. A name like "HorizonHse" looks like a pseudonym. Even if the
> sender can be reached by e-mail, it still gives the impression that
> he wants to hide something. Putting your real name in the "sender"
> line, and/or in the signature, takes away this impression.

I don't think that using a real name will do anything for being
accepted as being a honest or dishonest person. And apparently, it
isn't important anyway, because there are people here who are only
known by their pseudonym or by their first name. I've rarely seen
complaints about that, mostly they were just welcomed and treated
as if they did use their own name.

I've always used my own name here on the list, but at this moment
my advice would be that it is better to use a (steady) pseudonym.

I base this on my own experience, because I think that some people
here stubbornly look at me as some kind of bad guy. I've seen
people telling me that *they* know what *my* intentions have been.
No explanation from me is needed and even if I would explain myself,
my words will be misused as a *proof* of the bad intentions they
already had in mind anyway.

As if that isn't enough, they use their own picture of me as a proof
of what kind of sad person I must be in my private life. In other
words: just say your opinion, and I'll fill in your whole personality
for you.

Such thoughts are just sent to the mailing list as a *fact*
("we all know that you did that because... etc.") and then
I have the task to explain what my real intentions were.

Unlike Donald, I can't run away to Timbuktu. The chance is big
that someone here will yell: "Hey, that bad person, as we all know,
Daniel van Eijmeren has arrived here!" And then other people will
politely explain the guy that the fact that I have run away can
only prove that their thoughts of me as bad person have been right
all the time.

In other words: Using your real name is not important here, because
people will make a pseudonym out of you anyway.

Best wishes,

--- Daniel