Is Scrooge famous?

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Sun Mar 11 19:03:42 CET 2001

>>Candico:
>>SInce Scrooge is multi-bazillionaire or something I would think everyone
>>would be looking at him because he is so famous.  Is scrooge supposed
>>to be very famous or is he supposed to be such a recluse that nobody
>>knows of him

A few examples to start with.

U$ 27:   "The Money Champ" (Sept '59)
              People in the street hail Scrooge as "Champ!"
             They are proud of the richest citizen; when Flintheart seems to beat him,
             they boo their former champion, who now "look[s] like a bum"
U$1-p:  Several instances of  people greeting Scrooge in the one-pagers.
WDC&S 194 (Nov '56): "Smoke Writer in the Sky" (Album 31)
                                          Nobody pays attention to candidate Scrooge-- "They don't
                                          *like* men, I guess!"
U$ 59 (Sept '65):   "North of the Yukon" (Album 40)
                                 Donald wants his uncle to pose for "Jolt" Magazine":
                                 "It'll make you *famous*!"
                                 "I don't want to be *famous*!" exclaims Scrooge. "I only want
                                 to be *rich* and *lonely*!"
Which is somewhat reminiscent of Dec '47: "Everybody hates me and I hate everybody!"

Here's what I think.
First, when Scrooge arrived in Duckburtg, it was a one-horse town.
His investments & factories turned Duckburg into what it is now: a thriving city.
So  he *is* quite well-known.
Then I guess people just got used to him, however rich he may be. They either
greet him or ignore him, whether they know him or hold him in contempt, or simply
do not care who he is.
Then the the city's prosperity and ensuing expansion attracted many people, who
simply don't know Scrooge.