"Barks" Asteroid

Apostolis Trikourakis komixgreekpage at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 19:44:47 CEST 2001

Hi all

Anders wrote:
> I think it was in the middle of the 80'es that an >
astronomist who read Barks, had an astroid (? I'm not
> sure of the spelling) named after Barks.
> WE can look up at this astroid and imagine Carl >
sitting on that one, with his wings on...

Yes I know that. Here's what Komix wrote:
[Komix #23, May 1990]

-ASTEROID NAMED CARL BARKS!-

Minor Planet 7621
January 28, 1983
(2730) Barks = 1981 QH

And here's the letter Peter Thomas sent to Carl Barks:
[Translation from Komix]

February 4, 1983

"Dear Mr. Barks
Many duckfans of our department had the idea to gave
your name to an asteroid. Your stories
about asteroids, earth and other strange places was
making me happy for many years and I
thought it'll be a good idea to name an asteroid
"Barks". It was an easy job: Ted Bowell,
who is searching for asteroids, gave us the permition
for that action.
The asteroid (2730) "Barks" has diameter around 10km
and he's making a full rotation
around the Sun every 4,5 years,  350-400.000.000km far
from the Sun. We don't know
many things about the asteroid, but maybe one day
we'll have more info about it.
Best Wishes
Peter Thomas, researcher of the Radio-Physics Center
and Space Research
Cornel University
Ithaka, New York"

Best Wishes