A D.U.C.K.hunt analogy

periklis theofilou cv97031 at central.ntua.gr
Fri Mar 30 23:23:27 CEST 2001

            Here's a bit of information that I came across while reading
a book ( the present tense in the excerpt refers to a time around 1980)
:

        [ The caricature  artist  Al  Hirtchfeld  for  three decades  "
hides " the name of his daughter Nina in his sketches . USA's airforce
uses the  " search for Nina "  as an exercise during the training of
bomber pilots , to help them locate targets faster , and recently NASA
as an observation exercise on astronaut training  . In addition , a
Pentagon advisor worked on Hirtchfeld's sketches searching for  " Nina
"  as  part  of  his  doctoral   thesis  on camouflage , which he did
with a scolarship of $60.000 ]

    Now , I must admit that I don't  know this artist , even though most
of  you probably do, but  I  suppose he is the first one to have this
idea  that is nowadays  so popular among the fans of  Don Rosa (seeking
the D.U.C.K. dedication) and/or Marco Rota ( who also  frequently hides
his name on his drawings) or maybe others  .
    I guess that this is another motivation for all us D.U.C.K.hunters
worldwide to keep searching no matter how crafty the disguise of the
dedication ! Who knows , it could leed one day to a promising career in
NASA or whatever ! And that's another example of the infinite uses of
comics in our life !

Periklis Theofilou