Comics and dimensions

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Thu May 10 22:31:22 CEST 2001

OLIVIER, 01-05-2001:

> Corollary (which will connect this discussion to comics): is there
> really any such thing as true 1D or 2D? A sheet of  paper or a line
> has a certain thickness.

I think that comics are 'simulated three-dimensional'. In other words:
a conversion from three-dimensional to two-dimensional.

If for example Duckburg would be two-dimensional, then Scrooge and
Donald would not be able to pass each other. As there is no depth
they cannot step aside for each other. Donald would need to
literally climb over Scrooge (or vice versa) to get past him.

I read about this in a Dutch science magazine ("Kijk"), possibly
more than ten years ago. It showed the results of a contest in which
readers had to design a two-dimensional world in which the above
problem was solved.

Best wishes,

--- Daniel