Barks early influences

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Sun May 13 18:14:32 CEST 2001

Thanks Olivier, for the information on Carl Barks' favourite early
newspaper strips (1910s and 1920s).  Those that you mentioned (Little Nemo,
Barney Google and Happy Hooligan were three of the other strips he
mentioned to me - whose names I couldn't remember).  Now that you have
perked up my memory, I remember two more:  Mutt and Jeff , AND another
Winsor McCay strip with a strange title having to do with eating before
going to sleep and then having nightmares.  I cannot remember the title;
but, I believe it could be paraphrased as: "Rarebit Madness"? or "Rarebit
Nightmares"?  or "Tales of Rarebit Madness"?

Can anyone tell us what the actual title was?  I seem to remember that a
few DCML members were quite knowledgeable (if not experts) on newspaper
comic strips.  I even remember once navigating to a website about that
subject which had a plethora of information on that subject (worldwide
publications).  I ended up arriving there from a link from a grouping of
Italian Disney Comic websites.

Can anyone provide the website addresses of any websites on historical
newspaper comic strips?

Thanks,  Rob Klein