Curious panels in Cibola

Francesco Spreafico frspreaf at tin.it
Thu May 24 21:36:06 CEST 2001

Hello!

The Seven Cities of Cibola have always been one of my favs, but there is
a point that I've always found quite... strange! I thought it was
becasue I was reading a translation, but today I finally read the
original one, and the strange feeling remain.

At page 9 of the story, the last three panels:
First panel: We se a vase falling apart from a nephew's hands. It's
filled with jewels, but, in the panel Scrooge doesn't seem impressed
(actually his face there doesn't even seem Barksian);
Second panel: all the ducks gather around the jewels ad Donald states
they're jewels;
Third panel: Scrooge jumps over the jewels greedily.

What I've always found strange in this is that Scrooge doesn't "jump"
right away! It's really odd! I understand that maybe he doesn't jump in
the first panel, because of contemporaneity... but there is no reason
for him not to get all exited in the second panel... it's odd indeed.

May be there some explaination for this strange behaviour?

--
Sprea
http://digilander.iol.it/sgrizzo