US Sales figures , and , " the good old days " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WL Lilly liljerryandtheyadayadakiddz at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 03:23:05 CEST 2001

...This doesn't really DIRECTLY spin off what either
Rob , or Tino were talking about , but...
  (1) - Really , U.S. comics fans have a tendency to
get overly nostalgic/" good old days " about how much
U.S. comic books sold in the " Golden Age " ( meaning
,  before television really hit the kid audience ,
at least for the purposes of our discussion here ! )
I don't doubt that , at its height , WDC&S may well
have been the largest selling comic ever . 2-3 million
a month ? Maybe . Probably closer to 2 , than
3 , if so !!!!!!!!!!! At another end of the 40s/50s
comics spectrum , Lev Gleason's violent " CRIME DOES
NOT PAY ! " might've sold...1,000,000 monthly ? If it
was a monthly ? At its absolute height ? It's just
human nature - and , also , show business/publicity ,
too , at another end of the time line !!!!!!! - to
inflate things !
  (2) - The " official " US circulation figures are
based on this annually required , for comics that have

a Second Class Mailing Permit ( Periodical class ! ) ,
Statement Of Circulation , which eligible US comics
still run ! I realize that Timo's ? was much more
specific , so...