Norway trip and Duckhunter meeting

Anders Christian Sivebaek acsive at mail.mira.dk
Wed May 30 16:55:09 CEST 2001

Hello listmembers

At least in Denmark we have a holiday around the time where Jesus is
said to have gone back to God.
This holiday was from thursday to sunday. My mother is a member of the
local folk-dance club, and they
have a friendship town in Norway - I was allowed to go with them on
their trip in this holiday.
When I told this to my good friend and duckhunter, Sigvald Grøsfjeld
jr. we started to arrange for us to meet.
We also made it so that Geir J. Netland would meet with us later that
day.

We went there by bus, which takes an awfull lot of time. Allready on
the ferry I was able to buy two issues
of the norwegian weekly with the new Rosa-story (I had already read it
in danish earlier the same day, wednesday).
Really a nice issue.

Later I bought other comics, collections of stories from old weeklies
and monthlies.

Thursday evening, when we had arrived at our host families, after
dinner we went to a family
which were here 12 years ago. I never can avoid to get to talk about
Donald Duck, so we did that -
They of course all new him, and were a bit surprised at my knowledge...

On friday the host family, my mother and Jens, and old but very fresh
guy of 81 years drove to their holiday cottage, while I waited for
Sigvald who would pick me up at 11 am.
I remembered to lock the door, and to bring videos that we had made
appointments about.
Then we drove to the city, Stavanger in Sigvald's father's car.
In Stavanger we firstly spend some ours at Løvås, a second-hand shop.
The issues there were sorted very nicely in years, and it was easy to
find the issues that I wanted for me and my dutch completist-friend.
(The ones they had at least). I also got a look at other things in the
store, big books, collections, american Gladstone's and many
pocketbooks. They even had dansih comic albums!
Hereafter we went to see the place were Sigvald's father grew up, In
Pedersgaten (Peter's Street approximately). The family had a wellknown
butcher-store here for many years. Even our host family knew about the
place. Sigvald's Uncle was the last owner, and is now retired.
We visitted Stavanger Dome (head church. we have around 9 in Denmark,
don't we?) where there was some choir-session going on, but we went
around and it was really a nice place, with ornaments and those colored
windows I like so much.
Then we went around this big lake in the middle of city. We passed
through some kiosks and two bookstores and found the monthly and no. 4
in the norwegian series of "meeting old friends" issuing Rockerduck
(had 3 nice panels from Rosa stories and mentioned that he was the only
source on young Rockerduck (However chaper 0 and 4 wasn't reprinted in
the book) . We were looking for the norwegian edition of Life and Times
of $crooge, but had no luck. apparantly one would have to visit Tronsmo
in Oslo (The place were Don signed the Pertwillaby/Captain Kaentucky
set) to find those books. They did have the new book with 13 comics by
Barks considered to be the best ones. I have that in danish though, and
prefered only to have it that way.
We drove to the university were Sigvald went 20 years ago. In 1980 he
first got experience with computers in a certain room at this place
which he showed me. (later he's been going to other universities to
take head subjects, ending with History in Trondheim which he's
finishing now - more about that later)
We drove past Hafrsfjord were Norway was made into one kingdom by
Harald Hårfagre (he had much hair I suppose)
at the shore we saw the sculpture of 3 swords.
Sigvald was in the marine at Madla, and we drove past that, looking
into the forum there, where the bookstore didn't have any Disney books.
We also went into a daily good's shop, looking at prices and buying
some extra sodapop - Sigvald chatted a bit with a class mate from
public shool.
Then we drove to Sigvald's house, said hi to his father and went down
in the basement where Sigvald lives.
Sigvald had the old computergame Summergames and played the national
anthems of Denmark and Norway !
I looked into Sigvald's collections. He has all the gold books with
Barks-stories, all the Duck-albums (with albums we haven't seen in
Denmark, such as the one with the Lemming with the Locket (off course -
it takes place in Norway) and Golden Helmet. He also has all those
white books with Barks, Gottfrddson and Murry. They're the ones were
the format isn't so friendly to Barks - but at the time when they came
out they were the only ones. Sigvald is a member of a tour club, that
is he walks trip every once in a while, and has done so for many years.
He has a see of medals, nicely placed on the wall, and many dilpomas of
how many thousands of kilometres and trips he's been on.
Sigvald has quite a fun collection of coins, placed in plastic boxes
and cake-boxes. He would open the boxes with 10-peces and throw them in
the air and let them hit him on the head. He hasn't yet got enough of
them to burrow trhrough them like a gopher and swim through like a
porpoise... :-)
At some point in the middle of the collection-watching we had a late
lunch with bacon and eggs.
At around 5-30 pm Geir arrived. we said hello and talked about
different things. Eg. Barks-indexes that look alike.
Sigvald had made a fight between nations, meaning that I and Geir had
to compete on who knew most about Don Rosas stories. In the middle of
the contest Sigvald's father came down and said that the barbecue was
getting ready so we went up and ate salad, bread and grilled sausages,
pork and the like.
When we finsiehd the great dinner we ended the contest. I won - whoa
:-) (7 to 4 It's possible that some of the questions were unfair - it
was a fact at least that we both hadn't been looking as much into
Sigvald's pages as we should have.)
Then we watched the interview tha F. E. Elliott made last year in
August. I got this interview in PAL-format thanks to Thomas and a local
friend who knows how to get such things done (It was NTCH before).
while watching the interview I read a bit of comics (as I've seen the
interview 3 times) and we had a nice time drinking  soda and eating
chocolate
Geir had to pick someone up someplace, so we had to stop the video and
follow Geir out. I had brought my camera so I took a photo of my two
friends outside. (Sigvald's father had taken one of us all at dinner)
Sigvald and I watched the rest of the video, plus an interwied with
Barks made in 1994 in Denmark. At the same time we enjoyed some
icecream:-)
As told, Sigvald's head subject is history - he ends it with his head
reporrt (I'd call it a doctor disputatis or something). It's really
heavy, on 230 pages! About property right in the beginning of the 16th
centruy in a certain community (Ry) in Norway.
When I finished that I took photoes of Sigvald and his collection, we
made certain situation with Sigvald's having his fingers in coins and
such. We're both very fond of good music, and listened to the two
winners of the eurovision song contest that came from Norway: "La det
Swinge" and "Nocturne".
Halæfway in Randaberg we got to talk about our fellow friend, and I
remembered some certain posters Sigvald had asked me to bring home with
me, and to our friend. Back to Sigvald again.
At the host family we talked a bit, and said bye.
The day after Sigvald had phoned and I called back. I had brought with
me the dansih weekly which was actually for Sigvald. I'm very
forgetfull you see. So Sigvald fecthed it as his father and him were
going somewhere.

I had a really nice day with Sigvald and later Geir. The day after I
was with the dancers in Randaberg to see them dance, I met people I
hadn't seen for 12 years, but they still remembered me. In the evening
we had a party at the host family, where my interest and visit at
Sigvald was also mentioned. They thought it was nice to have nice
friends because of an interest.

The family had had a nice day on friday too, driving to their holiday
cottage. Jens, the old guy was very touched by all the things he
experienced and thanked many times, during the days, for the great
hospitality of the family.

Yours
AC