Money Ocean, Flintheart

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Wed Nov 7 10:39:20 CET 2001

Dim
>>   As for references about "The Money Ocean"'s plot not being this
>> exciting,who said it is?

Francesco:
>> Well, I did (a couple of years ago though :-)
>> Actually I consider The Money Ocean the BEST story ever made by Marco >>Rota, the best by *far*,
and one of the best ever.

I hadn't noticed it was the very story that's published in PM, right after Don Rosa's.
I usually thumb through an issue, try and spot whch will be the best and read it last, to end on a
good story. But when there's a Don Rosa story, I reverse the order and start by the best (Don Rosa)
and read the rest later.
Well I read "The Money Ocean" this night and liked it very much. A agree on the bin theory, but am
used to seeing several (it was often the case in the Mickey Parade stories of  my childhood). I
don't like Magica's (magical) disappearing act, though: if  she can (dis)appear where and when she
wants, what's the point of  disguising?
What I like in the story is its fantastic / magical / supernatural  treatment, the idea of  the
money ocean-- a literal version of  Barks' Money Lake and a magical version of  Don Rosa's Cash
Flow. It also makes for some nice panels.

Rebecca:
>>The word 'Glom' is equivelent to 'grab'. So Glomgold refers to the way he >>chases and hoards
gold. Flintheart Glomgold quite literally means that he is cruel >>and heartless in his persuit of
money.
Scrooge's name in France is Picsou, as you know.
Sou: coin (an old currency, actually)
Pic: from "piquer" (to sting), here in the sense of  "to nab"-- not that far from Glomgold, eh?

Best wishes,
Olivier