Limitations.

Dim I Nticoudis dimadick at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 13 18:25:38 CET 2001

  I am afraid that Don Rosa expresses us all,Disney creators and their
readers,when he complains about the limitations in the Disney
stories.Although there are death references in some of Barks best stories he
wasn't allowed to handle the matter the best way he could.
These stories include:
1)Pirate Gold.Though the story is all about the treasure of blood-thirsty
pirates who killed each other not wanting to share it only a few bones here
and there indicate what happened on this island.
2)The Mummy's Ring.We have to do with two ancient mummy's and a monarch who
doesn't hesitate to richualy kill Pete and Huey.Excelent scenario for a
thriller and still the reader is not given time to think this "details".
3)The Old Castle's Secret.The five main characters are in their old
ancestral castle and could join their ancestors at any moment .Still the
editors hesitated about references to real death.Ouch!(This is still my
favorite storyt by Barks.After reading it as an seven-year old I was
thinking about how its creator and the rest of Disney must have declined
after the creation of this story.)
4)In Ancient Persia.Every other character of this storie except the four
modern Ducks turns to dust for ever.I would prefere a more suitable finale
that the four running around in the desert.
5)Treasure of Marco Polo.In this story the Ducks are in the middle of a
civil war which has destroyed a country.Most of Barks ideas were cencored in
what is his most bitter story.What a loss.Barks was truly inspired in this
story.
6)King Scrooge the First.King Khan Khan(2050 BC-1967 AD),tired of his life
suicides.The hole subject of the story is his wish for death.Barks last
great story and still the editors toned down the comments that would close
this story.
If Barks didn't have to worry about censorship those stories would probably
be better.He was a capable enough writer to blend ideas from horror films he
enjoyed in some of this.
  If the editors  allowed the creators to experiment more with the
characters we would probably have better stories.Most of the DCML users must
have found stories that could be a little more mature.And I don't think that
by sterilizing any reader of any age could gain anything.
  (And a comment to Don:How many Asterix comics have you found?You seem to
like their style more than anybody I have ever heard commenting on them or
writing about them.)