Seven Dutch dwarfs ("We are the dwarves: resistance is futile")

Pascal Oost pascaloost at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 15 14:38:55 CET 2001

Op 14-11-2001 14:25 schreef Fluks, H.W. <H.W.Fluks at kpn.com>:

> As far back as I can remember, their "Dutch" names have been Doc, Happy,
> Grumpy, Sleepy, Sneezy, Bashful, and Dopey. Exactly like in English.
>
> But now they have become Doc, Giegel, Grumpy, Dommel, Niezel, Bloosje, and
> Stoetel.
>
> Quite strange names.

These translated names were invented a couple of years ago when a new Dutch
language version of Snow White was produced.
The editors of the Dutch Disney-licensed magazines never liked these
translations either and kept using the English names for years, until now.
I just noticed that in the November issue of the Dutch monthly "Disneyland",
for the first time the dwarves are burdened by their translated names.