Re 739: Anders (Marja Ritola)

Jussi Mantere jmantere at niksula.hut.fi
Mon Nov 19 08:37:54 CET 2001

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Ari Seppi wrote:

> Ok, that then, I'm not very familiar with the English words for these. I
> just assumed that since Marja's gradu was titled ph.d. it would mean that
> ph.d. is gradu in English. (Or is there some mix up about "gradu" having
> different meanings in different languages?)

Just to clear up:
 "pro gradu" = "after graduation"
 "pro gradu" = term for Master's Thesis in Finnish universities
 Master = the lowest "higher" academic level of graduation
 Ph.D = Doctor of Philosophy, in Finnish "Fil. tri"
 PhD Thesis = the thesis you write before dissertation, in order to
  	      graduate as a doctor.

 -jussi
--
. jussi mantere