Scrooge and Paperinika

Botto Armando Armando.Botto at elsag.it
Tue Nov 20 15:59:38 CET 2001

Hi, Dim! You wrote:

> But even Mr.Barks in his "Voodoo Hoodoo" explained that Scrooge can be
overcome by greed who leads him to atrocious actions.I consider most of the
Martina's stories such moments of extreme greed.I believe that we are seing
Scrooge's brightest and darkest sides in the stories of different creators.I
usualy just disregard the stories who present Scrooge as childish,foolish or
ignorant.Those are probably the only things he is definitely not.

OK, I see your point. As for myself, I prefer the stories by the (very few)
creators who manage to handle all of Scrooge's sides simultaneously...
But again, I feel the need to point out that there are quite a few good
stories by Martina. He probably should have retired a few years earlier than
he actually did, but that's only my opinion...

> Paperinik and Paperinika express different viewpoints so I don't think
they are clones of each other.I think these identities express Donald's and
Daisy's need for revenge.But the targets are different.Donald/Paperinik
targets those who personaly wronged him or criminals inforcing his own type
of "justice".Daisy also leads the feminists group of Duckburg by proving
what a woman worths.Her revenje is against prejudism.She also trys to
inforce her own version of "justice".Where this versions are similar and
where there is a contrast between them is the story's main interesting
point.And Paperinik was geting too arrogant by the time.A few losses would
help him think better.

Paperinik should *never* lose ;-)
I went to check the Paperinika stories after the first, and was surprised to
see there's only three of them! Not only that, but I've read only the second
one ("Paperinika contro Paperinik", again by Martina/Cavazzano): the
remaining two are too "recent" for my collection (and one of them is drawn
by Giancarlo Gatti, whose style could make the best scripts look like trash
;-)).
So, Paperinika was not as recurrent a character as I thought - probably I
disliked the character so much that I uncounsciously multiplied her
appearances in my memory... which may be regarded as a proof that my
judgement is biased, so I won't insist in denigrating her ;-)

> What do you mean silly Super Goof stories?As far as I know there isn't one
that is close to serious.

I meant "silly" in the sense of "superficial, unoriginal, dull". Some Super
Goof stories (especially the early ones) were funny without being silly.

> You are right about Mickey.Gottfredson handled the character better than
the rest. [...] He is ambitious and well-balanced.Even Scarpa didn't gave
his Mouse such a style.

I'm curious to hear Sprea's (and Francesco Gerbaldo's) opinion on this last
sentence... ;-)

> And a question.Recently in Greece we have more and more reprints of
Italian stories staring Pete.What happened?Italians got bored of Mickey as
Americans did before them?

I leave this answer to fellow countrymen of mine with a deeper knowledge of
the recent Italian production...

Ciao,
Armando