Disney comics on IRC

Søren Krarup Olesen raptus at stofanet.dk
Mon Nov 26 20:34:23 CET 2001

Dear all,

For almost one year, some of us (mostly "inducksers" for the
I.N.D.U.C.K.S. database) have been very active on IRC. We've used this
as a friendly forum, where we share both personal but first of all very
Disney comics related information. During the period this has worked as
a pleasant (and sometimes quite funny) supplement to our existing
mailing lists.

In the light of these positive experiences, I hereby invite everyone to
join our newly started "chat room" which we hope will bring joy to all
you Disney comic fans out there.

Now, "chat room" he said, isn't that only about sex and finding boy and
girl friends. Well, not necessarily. From a technical point of view,
chat rooms (or as they are really called: "channels") provide the best
and fastest alternative to mailing-lists.

However, it's *only* an alternative, an addition so to speak. The
mailing lists will remain of course!

In order to be able to use the IRC, you need a program. Under Windows
there are many, of which the two most important are:

http://www.trillian.cc (completely free and includes ICQ as well)
http://www.mirc.com (shareware)

Linux users can just use the standard chat program that comes with
their distribution, like e.g. kvirc and ksirc, which are free of course.

How to join? Very easy. Let your program connect to

irc.duckburg.dk

and set the client to port 6667 (probably the default)

Then type:

/join #dcml

That's all! No passwords, no usernames.

You simply type your message at the bottom line, and then (hopefully)
somone else will provide an answer. In contrast to web-chatting there
is NO delay whatsoever using IRC, and one can even transfer files and
data directly to any user if needed.

If you wish to know all the details, do check

http://irc.duckburg.dk/irchelp

Have fun :-)

Yours,

Thomas Pryds Lauritsen (www.duckburg.dk) and
Søren Krarup Olesen (www.raptus.dk)

---

(supervised by Ari ;-)
(Stefan found the idea "interesting")
(Harry didn't exactly dislike the idea...etc...etc...)