On the Komix situation

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Wed Nov 28 12:47:39 CET 2001

GARY:

> If you simply no longer find the exercise fun, for whatever reason, then
> please do cease.

That's the plan, at least until reading Komix becomes fun again.

> Your call to your "fellow Greek readers", however, might amount to asking
> them to collectively shoot themselves in the foot!

Um, I wasn't suggesting that Greek readers should stop buying Komix,
only that they do not take over my monthly "column" in the DCML!!!
Did I use a wrong expression?

> Disclaimer: I am a longtime fan of Sergio Aragonιs work, and personally
> don't see how it could cause any harm to Komix.

To push things to their extreme, hoping to make it clear why I am upset,
let me point out that "War and Peace" is a masterpiece, so perhaps
Komix should dedicate 16 or 32 pages each issue to printing that story
in installments.

The point is that while I used to pay 700 drs. for 68 pages of Disney
comics and articles, I now have to pay 900 drs. for some fifty-odd pages
of same, so I can't help feeling cheated.

HARRY:

> Kriton has been criticising the contents of Komix for months now.

I do tend to complain a lot, don't I? ;-)

> Apparently, the Komix people don't listen to this criticism, or they decide
> to ignore it. So the only other option that's left is to spend less money:
> that's what the publisher *really* should care about.

I've mentioend before that my feeling is that Terzopoulos is publishing
Komix at a loss, just because he wants to read his favorite stories
in Greek.  I suspect that he has now developed a taste for Aragones,
so I doubt if he is going to miss my 900 drs. :(

> There are some similarities with the Gladstone comics when their sales went
> down. We got less content for a larger price. We got advertisements
> disguised as articles.

Did we?!?!?

> And I wouldn't be surprised if Komix would start to
> spread a Rosa story over 3 issues, so at least the Rosa fans have to buy
> them.

I hope the Komix people haven't read this! In any case, they have so much
material to choose from, and which they have finally decided to begin
using, that even people like myself, who have overdosed on Barks, may
find it hard to skip an issue. Next month, e.g., they will be printing
a classic Christmas story by Scarpa. They don't say what story it is,
but I doubt that I'd want to miss it. [Insert picture of myself thinking
of a dollar bill with wings, flying away.]

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"Everyone in the universe has free will, Benny.
 Predestination wouldn't work otherwise."
-----