why do H,L,D say sentences `together'?

Nils Lid Hjort nils at math.uio.no
Thu Nov 29 23:27:52 CET 2001

I'm looking at the www.donald.no pages, in
what turns out to be a futile attempt at
finding an option for
	"I accidentally missed buying DD & Co. # x,
	 and would like to order it now!"
Then I bumped into a questions-and-answers
column, where readers (that's you and me) can
post questions and have them answered by
"an expert Donaldist" (?).

(To check this, go to "send post", then to "Dette lurer
jeg på!", and after this finally to "Dette har vi fått
svar på!"; "these questions have already been answered".
Oops, I read now that these particular questions & answers
are also being published in the weekly DD&Co. Which means
that the particular answer I'm taking an issue with below
also must have appeared in 200,000 copies, some time ago.)

The Question I am focussing attention on now is this:
"Why do H,L, and D say/express their sentences `together'?"

And the Answer given, which I dislike, or disagree with,
is as follows:

"They got that habit in the animated cartoons. Probably
because their voices sound alike, and therefore making
it difficult to hear who says what."

Well: this is BESIDES THE POINT, imVho,
	H: "and certainly ..."
	L: "... doesn't answer ..."
	D: "... the question posed!"
H,L,D do not talk like that "_because_ their voices sound
alike" or "_because_ it is difficult to hear who ways what".

The real answer must lie deeper, forming an integral, important
and fascinating part of their common psychologial heritage.
They are privileged (but perhaps, occasionally, confused)
by their sameness. They don't just have 99.9999 percent
of their genes in common, as any list member here has
with anyone else on the list (I'm quoting something I heard
a while ago, about the incredible likeness of all humans,
as measured in this particular way), but much more, as
in "virtually all". And they have been monozygotically raised
together.

This has led to an impressive degree of simultaneous,
synchronised thinking, and thence speaking. It is beyond
the imagination of most of us, but I have experienced
and heard similar accounts (but to a lesser degree)
from (monozygotic) twins I have met. For H,L,D it is
clear that this has grown into a major advantage in life,
where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
They are smarter, wiser and happier (most of the time)
than they would have been had they been born at
separate time points.

So, why doesn't Egmont write this in their column?!

Are there Barks stories, or other Duck stories, where one of
the three spends significant amounts of time apart from
the other two?

Nils Lid Hjort