DCML digest #654

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Mon Sep 3 13:47:18 CEST 2001

From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Daniel=20vasset?= <danielvvhh at yahoo.com>
Subject: The new Don Rosa book
>>>>Don :
What kinda drawing will be in the new finnish book?

There will be lots of drawing in the Finnish book -- oodles of little
square drawings to tell ten new and old stories.

Are you asking what sorts of *original* drawings will be in the book? NONE
in the 50,000+ normal edition! Whew! I put original drawings into only the
100 leatherbound books in the limited edition. #21-100 will have a large
head of Donald or $crooge with various expressions. Then #1-20 will have
full-color scenes from the stories in the volume, either from the old
reprints or from the new "Crown of the Crusader Kings" story. These will
become more complex with more characters as you regress from #20 back to #1
until that first edition will have the final scene from "Crown" with 7
characters and props, etc. Also, I had a new idea this time, and I also
used an exacto knife to get more creative by cutting appropriate holes into
a number of the pages. For example, one page depicts the sword fight
between $crooge and Ackers McCovet from "His Majesty McDuck", and I have
$crooge's sword cutting a long slash out of the title page. On other pages
I have the Beagle Boys with saws cutting the titles off the page and making
off with them. On the other pages, I try to work the titles into the
drawing, such as covering them with snow on a page where a polar bear is
about to eat Donald. Stuff like that there.
I'm asking the Finnish publisher to make copies of the 20 color scenes and
print them somewhere, perhaps in the regular edition book, so everyone will
know the answer to your question.